Training & CEU Workshop
Magic Therapy Workshop
Using Magic Tricks in a Therapeutic Setting
Instructor: Kevin Spencer, AOTA Approved Provider
The MAGIC THERAPY workshop empowers the therapist with a valuable new tool to motivate their clients to become more involved in their treatment. The workshop is a “hands-on, interactive learning experience” and is grounded in the Model of Human Occupation. The applications address the entire spectrum to include developmental disabilities, mental health, physical disabilities, gerontology, and specific disease related deficits. The movements required to learn simple magic tricks help clients regain lost physical and cognitive skills while increasing motivational levels and self-esteem.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the therapeutic benefits of magic tricks in client treatment (cognitive, motor, perceptual, and social).
- Distinguish which clients are appropriate for this type of treatment modality.
- Evaluate and identify which magic trick(s) can be most beneficial to achieve a specific client goal.
- Create an individualized client-centered treatment program by analyzing and assessing the movements required to perform selected magic tricks.
- Verify how to appropriately document this technique for insurance reimbursement.
What You Will Learn
- The history, research, concepts, and implementation of “magic therapy” in a clinical setting.
- A repertoire of simple magic tricks that can be used to address:
b. Motor Skills
d. Social Skills
e. Creativity/Flexible Thinking
- Documentation and billing procedures for insurance reimbursement.